Insight Pharmaceuticals recently posted a list of the ten north American cities with the most severe bedbug infestations. Do you live in one of these cities or plan on traveling to one of these cities soon? You may want to brush up on bedbug prevention methods.
- Columbus, Ohio – Columbus has been fighting a major bedbug infestation for years, and enacted a bedbug oversight committee to marshal forces to fight this incipit outbreak. Recently, the State of Ohio asked the EPA to allow the use of Propoxur to help fight the problem. Its request was denied.
- New York City, New York – The Big Apple’s war on bedbugs has been well documented. A group of concerned citizens started a NYC bedbug advisory board whose efforts recently ended in failure as government officials viewed the bedbug problem as having no fiscal impact.
- Toronto, Ontario – Toronto’s ongoing bedbug fight required the city to use bedbug sniffing dogs in advance of the recent G20 meeting. Toronto’s Etobicoke General Hospital was also recently found to be harboring the blood sucking pests.
- Bloomington, Indiana – So severe is Bloomington’s fight against bedbugs that the town recently invested $50,000 in bedbug eradication equipment that will fry the invaders with heat and help put a stop to the town’s “epidemic.”
- Manchester, New Hampture - The city of Manchester formed a Bed Bug Action Committee to combat increasing incidences of bedbugs.
- San Francisco, California - There have been 17 reports of bedbugs reported in San Francisco in the month of June. Note that not all bedbug cases are reported.
- Durham, North Carolina – This city has had such dramatic problems with bedbugs that four of the state’s congressional members introduced a bill in Congress to establish a grant program to assist states in inspecting hotel rooms for bedbugs, and protect apartment renters.
- Vancouver, British Columbia – A quick review of BedbugRegistry.com shows that new infestations are appearing in this city every day.
- Chicago, Illinois – Concerned individuals in Chicago formed a bedbug policy advocacy group, which cites evidence indicating that Chicago bedbug infestations are on the rise.
- Denver, Colorado – The bedbug problem in Denver has become such a problem that the local library had to destroy rare books that were hundreds of years old after a recent infestation.